My surprise shower was planned for April 3, 2010 from 2-4pm. I knew about the shower, just not where it was and who was going to be there besides who was on my invite list. Peter and I got there at 2pm and it was to my surprise that my best friend Kristin and her husband Pete from Cincinnati were there! And also to my surprise, she was my baby shower hostess!! I thought it was my friend Rachel and my mom, but they helped Kristin coordinate it. I was so shocked I was in tears that they came down for such an event :). Also, Kristin's sister Laura and brother Erica came, Donna, Jim, Lucci, and Jessica came as well. I haven't seen these people in years (minus Jim, Eric, and Laura)! My neighbors, family, friends, and even niece from Chicago came as well! It was such a wonderful event!!!
We started off with games, first the diaper game...next was the beer in the baby bottle game for the guys...and then came the "guess how big Cara's belly is with crape paper" game (usually played w/ toilet paper). So I started off and was going around the room letting everyone measure my belly w/ Kristin judging. When I got in front of Peter's mom I felt a small gush of something and thought it felt very odd. I walked over to Kelly and her mom and let them measure me, and I felt another small gush again. I played ot off and didn't say anything and just thought that it was probably nothing. I kept going and got in front of Kristin's brother Eric. He was measuring my stomach when I looked over at Rachel (she just had her second son a month earlier) and said, "I need to go to the bathroom". She said "It's over here if you need to go". I told her "something isn't right"...she looked at me funny and then I felt a larger gush. I darted from in front of Eric and ran into the ladies restroom at the hotel (where my shower was held), and looked down and saw clear fluid everywhere. Crap. I'm not supposed to go into labor at 36 weeks 5 days! It is too early!! I'm in the middle of my baby shower!!!! Rachel came in and I told her I think my water broke. I started crying b/c I was scared. I wasn't ready yet...my best friend was in town, she was throwing my shower, and I go into labor?!?! Wow...so Rachel runs out and goes to Peter and says "Cara's water broke". The whole room heard it b/c my mom said the air in the room was sucked out and you could've heard a needle drop.
So Peter, Kristin, Rachel were all in the bathroom with me and thankfully I was surrounded by my best friends, family, and wonderful people in my life. We walked out (I had a diaper in my undies since I was leaking thanks to an extra diaper from he diaper game) and I saw Peter's mom's face = priceless lol. Everyone was starring at me in shock. I went around and hugged everyone and told them to please stay and have cake at least since we had to go to the hospital.
Peter and I left and ran home to grab his bag and my toiletrie (sp?) bag. We were off to Baylor. What is crazy is that I never lost my MP, and I never had one contraction. Only braxton hicks! I was in pre-term labor. We arrived at Baylor and went up to L&D. I was checked in and my water was checked to see if it was my water...yep...sure was! After signing my life away, I was whisked away to L&D room number 1. They pricked me with the IV (fun times), and straped the belts on my belly to moniter contractions and Ava's heartbeat. I wasn't at pain at all...yet. The nurse called Dr. Flowers to let her know what was going on. Dr. Flowers wanted to start pitocin to get the contractions going since my water broke and I was not dilated. I walked around the L&D floor with Peter, Kristin, Rachel, my mom (at different times since only 2 ppl were allowed at a time) and ate my ice chps...I sure was hungry! Who knew I wouldn't be eating for 20 hours!!!!!
The nurse brought me a rocking chair that I could sit in so gravity could help me get going. No epi yet. It was about 5pm or so. About 9pm Dr. Flowers came in to check me. I was dilated to 2, completely thinned out and at 0 station. She wanted me to hold out 2 more hours before an epidural (if I could). Well I held out one more hour and got to 4 cm dilated. I was crying, screaming and begging for the epidural guy to get up to my room ASAP!! I was in horrible pain. I was falling out of the rocking chair it hurt so bad. He finally came which felt like hours later (maybe half an hour) and stuck me in my spine. It didn't hurt at all. Epidural = HEAVEN!!!!! My legs felt like rubber balloons and I was finally relieved from my pain. My mom and Peter were probably glad that my screaming was over lol. They inserted the cathedar and we were good to go.We all fell asleep and rested up for push time!
The nurse ran into my room at about 1:30AM on April 4th and looked concerned. She said she needed to check my cervix. All she did was lift the covers and said..."You are 10 cm!" It was go time! I think she must've seen something on her monitors outside and that is why she came running in. Next thing I knew, nurses were in and out, Dr. Flowers was called to come in ASAP, and the HUGE bright light from the ceiling came down. Also they pulled my catheder out. Next thing I knew we were counting and pushing starting at about 1:45am. 1,2,3, PUSH, 123 Push! breathe breathe...etc. I couldn't feel a thing! I was hoping I was pushing the right way since I couldn't feel my lower half. My Dr. came in and sat down by the "recevieng" end and also encouraged me to push harder. The only scary part was she told me I was "tearing" and had to make a cut :(. I couldn't feel anything though so I was okay. Next thing I knew, Ava was crowning and then plop! She was born. Having a baby exit your body is the craziest feeling ever!!
After 12 hours of labor, not eating for 20 hours, and 30 minutes of pushing, Ava was born at 2:15am on Easter Sunday. She was 6 lbs and 3 oz, 18 inches long. They considered her a preemie since she was not "full term".
Peter got to hold her first after they cleaned her up and checked her Apgar (She scored a 9!!). He was in love. I started feeling very queezy and they handed me an "throw-up bag". Next thing I knew I was throwing up absolutely nothing since my stomach was empty (also I went #1 on myself :( bleh...better than #2!). Finally after I recovered from the initial shock, I got to hold my sweet little princess, Ava. While I was being sewed back up, I attempted Breastfeeding. I don't remember much of this part...I was in total shock!
After bonding time, they took Ava to the nursery to get her cleaned up. We all rested again and my mom left to go to my house to sleep. At 6:45am, the nurses came and moved me to recovery room #253. Ava came in a bit later...Since Ava's pediatrician was not working that day, the on call Dr. at her practice came and looked Ava over (Dr. Johnson). He said that Ava was jaundice and her bilirubin was at a 12 and will be needing to stay in a bilibed for a few days. I was shocked and saddened.
The nurses brought in her bilibed and we had to keep her in it at all times except for BFing. It was so hard knowing that everyone else could hold their baby close and bond and mine had to be kept in a bilibed :(. It was very hard. We had several people visit us in the hospital and it sure did help time go by since Ava was in her bed.
I was discharged on Tuesday April 6th, Ava was not. I was in tears! Just before that news, the hospital chaplin came and "blessed" Ava for us. What a special short event. The hospital and Dr. Hunt (Her pedi) wanted Ava to stay an extra day. Luckily Peter spoke up and asked about getting a bilibed delivered to our home. Dr. Hunt agreed and we were set up to receive a bed that evening!
So Ava got to come home on April 6th to meet her cats and see her bedroom! We set up her bilibed in her crib and she slept very well. I had to take her to the Dr. the next day so she could get her bilirubin checked again. It went up to a 12.3. Also her Dr. said that she was down to 6 lbs but had grown a 1/4 of an inch since birth!! Dr. said that Ava had to stay in her bed another night. Next day we went back, 12.6! UGH! Darn this jaundice!! Next day I went back and it had stablized at a 12.6. Dr. said to dismiss using the bilibed and she could finally sleep in her bassinet! Hallelujah! I could finally hold my baby for longer than 30 minutes at a time!
Ava has been doing great at breasfeeding! I supplement with formula to make sure she is getting enough to eat. I have been feeling great minus a possible UTI that I haven't gotten checked out. I feel better today so I think it is almost gone! My sleep is a thing of the past but I will sleep again one day. Ava has held her head up for 15 seconds the other day. I was impressed at how strong she is! She kicks like se is riding a bike when I change her diaper. She hates being naked lol! I cant already tell she has grown and filled out a bit! Her next appt is this Wednesday! I can't wait to see how much she weighs now!!!!
Thanks for reading if you made it this far ;)!

wow congrats! it freaks me out a bit about ever being pregnant/giving birth but it sounds like you made it through alright :o) what are your favorite and least favorite parts about being a mom so far?
ReplyDeleteLeast Fave: Not knowing what she wants all the time! I just learned what the difference between breastfeeding and "cluster feeding" is. Ava jus started to cluster feed and it is exhausting!! Also the lack of sleep stinks! It is worth it, but it is so so hard.
ReplyDeleteFave: Looking into her beautiful eyes and knowing that you had a part in giving such a beautiful baby life. What an amazing feeling. I barely remember how much I hurt in the hospital recovering...my main focus was her. It is so amazing!!
Thanks for reading!!! :)